Elegant, yet oh so easy pastry bites! These Apple Butter Brie Tartlets are a perfect appetizer for any event!
We love brie. We love apples. We love small bites. It is a given that we love this apple butter brie mini tarts recipe! Making these doesn't get much easier. These apple brie tarts are ready to eat in 10 minutes. A perfect appetizer or snack for fall gatherings!
Three ingredients are all that are needed for these amazing bites.
- Brie. It doesn't matter if it is a wedge or a full round, just make sure it is a brie cheese you like to eat. We like to scrape the thin rind to remove most of it, but it is also fine to leave it on.
- Apple Butter. We love this Apple Butter from our friends at Life As A Strawberry. Make it when apples are in season and freeze in small containers. Homemade apple butter lets us control the amount of sugar and this recipe uses no refined sugar! Store purchased apple butter or applesauce also work.
- Phyllo Tartlet Shells. Making your own tartlet shells is easy to do and fun, but it does take time. Pre-made phyllo tartlet shells are available in in the frozen section of most grocery stores and work great! NOTE: We have tested different brands of frozen mini phyllo shells and we like the Athens' brand best. They hold their crispness and are the most flavorful.
Equipment We Used
We use a Silpat nonstick silicone baking mat to line our sheet pans but you can also use parchment paper. We love using a silpat because it is reusable. Just wash, dry and use again!
Did we say how easy these were to make? Let's say it again - these mini brie tartlets are so easy - and delicious!
- Prepare. Remove mini phyllo shells from the package and place on your lined baking sheet.
- Fill. Cut your brie into small pieces. We found pieces about 1 inch square fit into the mini shells perfectly.
- Bake. Bake shells until brie is melted then remove from the oven.
- Finish. Top each baked brie tartlet with apple butter.
- ENJOY! The perfect combination of crispy, creamy, and sweet in one bite.
We make batches of apple butter during apple season and keep in small containers in our freezer to use throughout the year. We like using our own so we can control the sugar in the apple butter. This Easy Apple Butter recipe uses no refined sugar and is so easy. There is even an Easy Slow Cooker Apple Butter version. Store purchased apple butter or applesauce will also work great!
Add a thin slice of apple or pear on top of the apple butter.
No homemade or store purchased apple butter handy? Use a favorite fruit jam; fig jam, cranberry jam (or thick cranberry sauce), peach jam, raspberry jam - they would all be good!
Make Ahead Tips
These appetizer tartlets are so fast and easy, but it is nice to prepare as much as possible before company arrives. Earlier in the day, uncover mini tartlet shells but leave them in the plastic trays they were packaged in. Place the brie cheese squares into each shell. Cover and refrigerate. When ready to bake remove tartlets from the plastic tray, place on the baking sheet, bake, top with apple butter, serve!
The FDA recommends discarding any perishable food that has been out at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
If within FDA guidelines, these baked tartlets will last in the refrigerator for a day or two, BUT the pastry will become soggy. We recommend only making as many as you think you will need. They are quick and easy to make so if you need more, as long as you have all the ingredients prepped, it will take no time to have them ready to serve.
Other Favorite Apple Butter Recipes
Other Favorite Brie Recipes
Some FAQ's for Brie Tartlets
This recipe works just fine using a slice of brie instead of an entire round. When we used an 8 ounce brie round we only used about half of the cheese.
Making mini phyllo cups are not hard it just takes time. If you can't find pre-made tartlet shells, purchase sheets of frozen phyllo dough and make your own. The basic steps are to alternate melted butter and phyllo sheets until they are 5-6 layers thick. Cut into squares a little larger than the mini muffin tins. Brush muffin tins with butter and place one 'stack' of square phyllo dough into muffin tin. Bake until golden brown.
While a puff pastry cup will also work in a pinch, we find there is too much pastry for the amount of cheese in these brie tartlets. If forced to use a puff pastry, we would increase the amount of cheese in each cup.
Apple Butter Brie Tartlets
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 24 pieces 1x
An easy appetizer perfect for fall gatherings! Apple butter and brie baked in mini phyllo shells make for a delicious bite at your next event.
- 24 phyllo pastry cups
- 4 ounces brie
- 2 Tablespoons apple butter
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the phyllo pastry shells on a lined sheet pan.
- Using a sharp knife, thin the rind on the brie by scraping with the edge of the knife. You don’t need to get it all off, just thin it out a bit. You can also just leave it on - equally good!
- Cut the brie into pieces about 1 inch square. They should fit within the sides of the phyllo shell but can be above the top since it will melt when baked.
- Place a piece of brie into each shell.
- Place the tray into the preheated 400 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 5-8 minutes or until the brie has melted. Remove from the oven.
- Top each brie tartlet with a dab of apple butter.
- Serve immediately.
Make Ahead Tip. Place cut brie squares in pastry shells earlier in the day, cover loosely, and refrigerate until ready to bake.
Brie. Use a brie round or just a slice of brie. Just make sure it is a brie you like to eat!
How To Serve. These can be served at room temperature, but we like them best when served warm. To keep them warm for a short time while serving use a warming plate or chafing dish. Place the tartlets on top of a linen napkin lined platter or food pan. Then place the serving platter on a warming tray or the pan in the chafer. This will keep the tartlets warm and help them from getting soggy on the bottom.
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 33
- Sugar: 0.5 g
- Sodium: 40 mg
- Fat: 1.8 g
- Trans Fat:
- Carbohydrates: 2.6 g
- Protein: 1.5 g
- Cholesterol: 4.7 mg
Keywords: appetizer, cheese, fall
Leave a Reply